Are you conscious of the products used in your screen-printing practice or on your yardage table? Being aware of all these products and how they can affect your staff, your equipment, your customers and the environment can bring more value to your screen-printing business.
Not all adhesives labelled “eco-friendly” are safe for users and the environment. Regular spray adhesives can pose health risks due to the amount of PVC and phthalates contained in these products. PERMASET® Table Adhesive is a pressure sensitive, water-soluble coating that is non-toxic and non-flammable which is much safer for the user and your screen-printing practice than the usual toxic spray adhesives. Find out how this product can add value by making your studio practices more sustainable.
PERMASET® Table Adhesive versus Regular Spray Adhesives
- PERMASET® Table Adhesive solves spraying problems caused by regular spray adhesives. Regular spray adhesives can cause a build up on the machine when some of the spray particles land on the machine parts, or even worse when particles are inhaled by the person handling the machine.
- PERMASET® Table Adhesive also sticks and dries quickly in about 10-30 minutes depending on the weather and thickness of the glue applied. You can also reactivate its sticky properties by spraying water on the adhesive and allowing it to absorb for a few minutes. Regular spray adhesives usually take an hour to dry.
- Regular spray adhesives are also toxic to your staff and customers’ health, and detrimental to the environment due to their harmful contents. Some spray adhesives may also be labelled as “eco-friendly” but still contain hidden chemicals so it’s preferable to choose water-reducible yardage table type adhesives to prevent future health risks.
Checkout this video showing how to apply PERMASET Table Adhesive
Using PERMASET Table Adhesive with Care
PERMASET® Table Adhesive will work to your advantage when you use it correctly. Find out the ways you can use and store PERMASET Table Adhesive effectively:
- Always wear protective equipment such as latex gloves, a face mask and apron when screen printing
- For best screen-printing results, lubricate vinyl and rubber coated surfaces with PERMASET Table Adhesive using a squeegee
- Make sure to cover the entire surface completely and include the edges when lubricating your yardage table with PERMASET Table Adhesive
- Let the Table Adhesive settle for a few minutes before laying fabric on top
- Though the product is non-toxic, we highly discourage using spray bottles to apply any adhesives because particles can be left in the air and inhaled by your staff
- Wash off the PERMASET Table Adhesive from the platen with water
- Make sure to close the lid of PERMASET Table Adhesive tightly and store it in safe place under room temperature
- Maintain the label. Tearing and removal of labels could result in misuse of the product
- Avoid spilling the Table Adhesive down drains and other surfaces. If this happens by accident, wipe off the adhesive using paper or a scrap material and letting it dry before disposing of the material in commercial bins
- While the PERMASET Table Adhesive bottle can be recycled, please check with your local recycling programs if this is allowed in your area.
Care for your staff, your customers, your screen-printing equipment and the environment by using eco-friendly inks and adhesives such as the PERMASET water-based screen print inks and PERMASET Table Adhesive. Visit the PERMASET online shop now to purchase online or contact your local PERMASET Stockist to buy.
Boutique Australian ink manufacturer, Colormaker Industries, is set to ramp up their focus on PERMASET® product innovation and sustainability during the course of 2021. This builds on the company’s reputation as a leader in sustainable manufacturing.
A little bit of Australian sunshine in every drop of PERMASET ink
In 2019, Colormaker Industries installed a 100 kW solar array on the roof of their Brookvale factory. This produces twice as much electricity as they use to power their production processes. This is enough to power 20 local homes and save over 150 tonnes of greenhouse gases per year. At the time of writing, the array had already saved 190 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
Colormaker continues to explore methods to reduce energy consumption, recently commissioning an energy audit. They’re now planning the installation of a raft of equipment that will not only reduce energy consumption outright, but will also monitor energy consumption in real time, allowing modification of practices on the shop floor. Colormaker was recently asked to present at a Smart Energy Council webinar.
Local deliveries are powered by solar
The installation of the solar array was so successful that Colormaker purchased an Electric Vehicle to make local deliveries. They are also planning to purchase a second EV.
“We haven’t run through the numbers in detail yet, but it looks like replacing petrol with solar produced electricity is an even greater greenhouse gas abatement option than sending all surplus electricity back into the grid” advised Colormaker Industries MD, David Stuart.
Evolving to R-PET Recycled Packaging
Colormaker has ordered their first batch of 100% recycled PET (RPET) jars. Though more expensive than virgin PET, the company believes they need to play a role in providing an outlet for some of the tonnes of recyclable waste that is collected each year. The first PERMASET inks in RPET jars is expected to be released to market in February 2021.
Carbon Neutral by 2030
Given the success of these efforts, Colormaker is looking more actively at what they would need to do to be Carbon Neutral by 2030. “We expect that we’ll utilise technologies that haven’t yet been imagined, let alone made commercially available, but it’s something that we are passionate about” noted Stuart.
Product and Manufacturing Innovation
The PERMASET water-based ink range (PERMASET AQUA, PERMASET SUPERCOVER, PERMATONE and PERMAPRINT Premium) are supported with dedicated R&D staff and research projects are directed towards exploring continuous product improvement in relation to organic and product performance.
PERMASET eco-friendly ink prints were recently subjected to a compost challenge by Melbourne yardage designer Ink and Spindle, and passed with flying colours:
The company continues to push boundaries through the adoption of best practice recycling, reduction in water use and sustainable manufacturing processes to deliver the most environmentally responsible products available to the screen printing trade.
With a lot going on behind the scenes, the launch of specific initiatives will be announced over the course of 2021.
PERMASET Manufacturer & Distributor in Australia: Colormaker Industries
PERMASET Trade Distributor in the UK: Steve Wood Services Ltd.
PERMASET Craft Distributor in the UK: West Design Products
PERMASET Distributor in the Rest of Europe: Atlantic Empire
PERMASET Distributor in USA: Armadillo Art